Monday, January 28, 2013

Yes... I Own A Cannonball ;)

My Collection ~ Vintage Cast Iron ~ Part 1

We all have our little quirks... I collect old cast iron shit.
These are my favorites... I know, I'm weird.... ;-)


What I know so far....
I'm not sure about the value of them. The free weight is about 5 lbs and I haven't found much info out there about similar ones. I wonder if search engines limit the hits because of my igloo. Damn! ;-)

The cannonball I know a little more about. It's Solid Cast Iron. Some are hallow with explosives inside. This one, thank God, is solid. It's a little less then 6 inches in diameter, and weighs about 22 pounds. Heavy little sucker for it's size. 

An older American gentlemen who often put on yard sales had it in his garage. I was not for sale. I just happen to notice it hiding in a corner and I just "had to have it." Honestly I did... ;-)  Over a couple years, I stopped in every time I dove by and noticed he had a sale on, to see if he still had it. He did, but still not for sale. I finally got him to sell it to me for less then 20 bucks. Then went back home to Canada with my "garage sale items" ;-)

He mentioned a few things to me that the "previous owner" had told him. According to this gentlemen, the cannonball came from the New York area and is dated back in the 1800s. I'm not sure if it has been fired or not. 

Now as you all know, I'm no expert in American History and since a lot of you are quite the buffs.... maybe you can tell me if these details make any sense, and which war it could have been part of.....
-MissK

21 comments:

Millwright said...

Maybe it belonged to the Hunter Patriots, if it came from New York
area, but I already went over that
earlier, Battle of the Windmill
check it out, time line is about right

wirecutter said...

I don't know either but if you collect cast iron, don't ever ask me to help you move.

Millwright said...

22 lbs? how about 24lbs?
"The 1839 improvements were in response to Hunters' Lodges seizure of the steamer Sir Robert Peel[1] The original 24 pounder cannons first installed in 1813 were remounted on the southeast and southwest corners of the ramparts,"
There is your background story for EBay :)

hiswiserangel said...

You are NOT odd, you are delightfully eccentric. That's why we mesh.

Anonymous said...

ROFLOL...
Ahhh, I bet you're birthday is in summer. A Cancer perhaps... love to collect old things, secretive too they say... How is your cooking? ;-)
I also bet you never held a garage sell yourself...
hehehe
wb











"EVerything in this book could be wrong..."

crankyjohn said...

Not so weird. You have a cannonball I have a ball and chain.

MissK said...

Cranky, someone seriously needs to send you a bolt cutter....

Alright wb, I'll give you one. I'm an Aquarius ;-)

Thank you Angel... I like meshing ;-*

Wirecutter, I'll carry the cannonball, you can drive the pickup ;-)

Anonymous said...

So Miss K. you like Big Balls heh....lol

MissK said...

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to point that out... LOL

MissK said...

LMFAO ...That's funny Paul :D

Millwright said...

LOL
I walked right into it, didn't I
Your clever Miss K

MissK said...

Seriously... you "Anon" boys need to sign your comments ;-) How do I know I should give you credit for that one? eh Millwright.... ;D

Millwright said...

McGill graduate? :)

Anonymous said...

An Aquarius huh? ;-)
Well, happy early, or belated birthday... Hope it was/is a fun one...
Are You doing anything exciting? lolol... Well, other than playing with your giant cast iron ball?

Well, we hope something as fun...
;-)
wb

MissK said...

:-) I did have plans to go at McGill, good call. Wanted to be an Architect.

Then family stuff happened....

Ended up going to a closer University and did a couple years. Computer science and business management.

MissK said...

wb, will you drop the giant balls already.. ;-)

No birthday for a few more weeks. And probably just family stuff. Most likely including a bottle of red wine....

Millwright said...

Pinot Noir? You don't strike me as a Merlot person, maybe Syrah. family stuff always happens, give thanks for family
I was hoping you would get more than 17 hits on this post, I tried :) very few care about history anymore

Sarthurk said...

Cool stuff!
When I was 8 years old (1964), my Dad bought a cut over piece of ground on the upper Applegate River in S. Oregon to plant trees(apparently they've already been harvested) and he found an old map that indicated there was a miners cabin, and we found evidence of such cabin. I found a piece of metal sticking out of the ground, and it turned out to be an unused broad axe head. I still have it, and it looks like it was never put on a handle, just discarded and forgotten. Probably 150 years old now.

Sarthurk said...

snore.

Millwright said...

Sarthurk,
Wake up, I know where there is a party going on two blogs over
Follow me

MissK said...

Well, don't run off so fast, a girl gets busy sometimes...

About the wine, I'm still in the experimental phase. I like picking out something different every time I go to the liquor store. Last one I had was French.. ;-) I'm not very picky, as long is it's not too dry or too sweet...

And I'm gonna do some more research with the info you gave me. If I find something relevant, I'll post it. And I doubt I'll be selling it anytime soon, but the ebay thing will help in establishing a value :-)

Sarthurk, That's pretty awesome. Must have been really fun to explore that land, especially at 8 :-) And there's probably a whole bunch of other stuff buried out there still...