Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Good Morn.. uh, I mean, Afternoon !!

A few more days, and I'm headed back home.


I've been keeping an eye on things from a distance...
Everything is fine, but the house does look lonely.

After I get back home and settled in, I gotta hit the ground
running again. Winter is just around the corner.
Yippee!... Not :/

That does mean, a few things on the to do list have to be taken care of asap. For one, I need a back porch. I'll be honest though, as far as moving stuff in, boob height access has made things a little simpler. No steps to climb, just a willing helper on the inside grabbing things. I would like better access over the snowy months though. I won't fret over it if I don't have time to complete it before the white stuff comes in, but I'll give it a shot.

All I need back there is 4' x 4' with the steps going along the house. Someone with experience would have it done in a few hours I'm sure. I'll have to give myself a few days with my limited experience. I did build the front porch all by myself ~ grin. And I think it turned out pretty good. I still have to board up the sides to hide the framing, but that can wait. Here's a night time glimpse of it...

 
Not bad for a first attempt, eh ;-)

8 comments:

idahobob said...

Good job!

Bob

Anonymous said...

Very nice indeed, cutting the stringers to get a consistent rise / run is challenging, especially when doing it the 1st time. I forgot to compensate for the top tread / deck and that one single dimension often caused people to catch a toe going up. Luckily for me, the deck - home finish floor height was a step too. I caught some hell from that by my wife and deserved it.

Again - nice job.

tsquared said...

I like the lights as post caps. You have a solid design with an obstruction free lower baluster.

I suggest using composite or PVC decking boards for the surface of your steps. Also closing in the the backs of the stairs when you close up the sides to help keep critters out

billf said...

Wow,front porch looks great for first time. We should expect nothing less from you.
I think you need a bleg post. All of us who enjoy your adventures would probably chip in ,in case you need some pro help in case you run out of time.

AZDave said...

Looks like a mighty fine job to me. I am as sure as "the sun will rise tomorrow" that you will accomplish what needs to be done. A simple step in the back would suffice, if anchored, until spring. Take care through the winter.

Mike aka Proof said...

Stairs look good! You are now entitled to keep a pencil tucked behind your ear, like a professional!

Anonymous said...

I like the lights. Nice touch!---Ray

Woodsterman (Odie) said...

Sounds like you have everything under control. BUT, you've only been to front porch school. Back porches are a whole new ball game. You've heard of "Ziggin when you should have been Zaggin"? Well the front porch was your Ziggin, and it's a whole new ball game back porchin or "Zaggin".

Actually my winter to do list is about 50 items long, but I'm closing in on the end. But hey, if not all gets done, there's always spring ... RIGHT? And always remember, wear something low cut for your boob high helper.