Wednesday, April 1, 2015

My Own Little Paradise


I recently got my hands on an awesome little woodlot.
I took this first pic a few weeks ago. The snow was still way too deep to venture in,
so I snapped a shot off the neighbor's land.

Last Friday I decided to strap on my snowshoes...

And head back over to do some exploring :-)


There's about 2 feet of snow left, more in some spots.
I had a pretty good workout going up the hillside.


Hard to tell from the pictures, but the lay of the land suggest I might have
a little creek flowing through. At least in the spring. Looking forward to finding out.


I spotted lots of tracks and a few "homes".... then I met this little guy. 


He just sat there and stared at me. Then he stretched like no one was looking so he could reach a piece of hemlock (I think) and nibbled it, in two bites like he was thinking "no one saw that". You know like our cats do, when they stick their heads under a carpet and seem to think we can't see them.


He scampered away a little while after.
Now I know where he lives ;-)


I'll wait for the snow to go down some more,
then I'll head back out there for some more exploring...

12 comments:

PioneerPreppy said...

Nice patch of land from what you have sown so far. How many acres?

MissK said...

Sadly just 1. But there's trees for miles and miles around. It works for now :-)

JPD said...

One is definitely better than 0. Good for you. Hope you enjoy it.

Will patiently await pictures of your soon to be built cabin......

billf said...

Missk,Are we to understand that you now own your own little piece of north woods? If so,many congratulations.You're really moving on!!
Looks good,but a little too much snow for me-come south if you need a break till it melts.

Anonymous said...

What trees are they? ---Ray

Anonymous said...

The evergreen shade will keep your igloo intact longer.

idahobob said...

1 acre is better than no acre!

Hope that it does have water. That is VERY important!

Bob
III

Anonymous said...

Feels good to own your own piece of heaven, doesn't it..Let me know if you need help working it..You can fly me up there anytime

Anonymous said...

Looks good. Enough trees to keep your cabin away from prying eyes when you get it built. I hope there is a spring so you have nice fresh water.

jack

Woodsterman (Odie) said...

Enjoy that acre. We normally have 2 feet here this time of year also. We have nothing. Worse drought I've ever seen.

MissK said...

I fully intend to Odie ;-)

It does anon :-)

It's very private Jack :-)

Very true Bob ;-)

Gotta keep that igloo intact as long as possible, eh anon ;-)

I know there's birch and hemlock, Ray. I'll have to check it out more next time :-)

Affirmative Billf ;-)
And I will be going on a little trip soon...

It is JPD, thanks :-)

Anonymous said...

Yeh! I love hemlocks, but I have never seen Birch that big in my life. Down here, they are little more than large shrubs and I think that this is about as far south as you find them. (the Ohio River valley)---Ray